Tuesday, February 17, 2009

President's Day Ride

I had Prez Day off and Whitney did not, so I sent the text out for anyone looking for a mountain bike ride and got all negatories. So, I headed out for a solo fatty. I was greated with flurries in town and views of white capped ridges on the drive out. I parked near Boyscout and headed up Leading Ridge.

I continued up the headwaters of the North River.

After this picture things got interesting with lots of ice build up on the bike preventing the wheels from turning...kind of a problem on a bicycle. Add to this frozen pedals and booties and I was doing my best to stay calm (meaning not screaming curse words at the top of my lungs in the middle of the woods) and keep moving. And oh yeah, my front suspension fork quit working at some point on the climb. I am not sure if it was the temperature or if it has officially crapped the bed. It all worked out as I ascended out of the North River headwaters and got on to fire road heading to Little Bald and Chestnut Ridge. I doubt the temps ever got over thirty couple, as the snow stayed entact except on the sunniest of spots. I had enough clothes and food to keep me from misery, and enjoyed the six mile descent as much as possible with a bum fork.

This may not sound like fun, but I love this kind of ride from time to time. It reminds you how good we have it, how dicey it can be riding by yourself in the middle of nowhere, and how nice it is to ride in warm temps.

oh yeah, the fresh cat tracks on Chestnut Ridge added to the mind games. I was doing my best Howard Dean on the ridge to make sure the coyote, bobcats, bears and maybe cougars knew I was coming.

No comments: